The Best 3rd Party Elvie Breast Pump Review for 2022
Are you considering getting an Elvie Breast Pump?
This is a detailed Elvie pump review that covers everything you need to know about the breast pump before deciding.
What is the Elvie Breast Pump?
The Elvie breast pump is a wireless, tubeless, wearable, and hands-free breast pump that has changed the pumping game.
As the Willow Breast pump did, the Elvie breast pump has gotten a lot of press since it came out a couple of years ago.
This Elvie Pump review for Breastfeeding Moms lets you know what you are getting into before you get into it.
The Elvie Breast pump can be operated via a phone application that tells you how much milk you have pumped. Sounds good? Well, yes.
Types of the Elvie Breast Pump
One of the things I love about the Elvie breast pump is that you can decide if you want a single or a double breast pump.
The single breast pump is cheaper, but the double breast pump is better for convenience.
Elvie Pump Parts
- It has one Hub
- 2 Bottles (5oz/150ml, BPA free)
- 1 Breast Shield (24mm and 28mm)
- 2 Valves, seals and Spouts
- 2 Storage Lids
- 1 USB Charging Cable and 1 Carry Bag and Instructions
- 2 Bra Adjusters
- It has 2 Hubs
- 4 Bottles (5oz/150ml, BPA free)
- 2 Breast Shields (24mm and 28mm)
- 4 Valves, Spouts and Seals
- It contains four Storage Lids and Bra Adjusters
- 2 USB Charging Cables and Carry Bags
- Instruction manual
- Two modes (stimulation and expression) and seven suction intensity settings
- Size: 5”H x 2.5”W
- Made with BPA free, dishwasher safe plastic
- An infrared (IR) energy sensor monitors milk volume in the bottle, detects when the milk container is full, and automatically stops pumping.
- Automatically starts in stimulation mode and switches to expression mode after two minutes or if the sensor detects a let-down.
- The free app links to each pump through Bluetooth so you can actively monitor Milk while pumping, view your stats from past sessions, and check the pump’s output. App users can also use the app to start or pause pumping, switch intensity settings, or switch to expression or stimulation mode.
- Pumps with manual controls for starting and pausing pumping and adjusting the intensity
- The machine is marketed as a “silent” breast pump, but its sound is still audible, though quieter than other pumps.
- FSA/HSA funds-compatible and reimbursable by many insurance companies
The Elvie Breast Pump Review
The Elvie Breast Pump has excellent features, which we will be looking at together.
This detailed Elvie pump review will show you the different features of the Elvie breast pump in relation to what you need.
Will the Elvie Breast Pump give me the freedom to Multi-task?
Yes, Mom, It will. The Elvie Breast Pump’s most fantastic feature is that it is liberating.
Yes! Simply charge it up, assemble it, slide it into your nursing bra, and start pumping.
The breast pump gives you the freedom to walk, cook, read a book, use the bathroom, or do anything you need to do while pumping.
Is the Breast Pump Portable?
Elvie Breast Pump is portable and can be carried around without anyone noticing you are pumping.
Though using The Elvie may make your breasts more significant than they used to be, the blinking light might give you away wildly if it blinks through your clothes.
This is not something that a scarf can’t fix. It is also wire-free, meaning you don’t have to worry about wire lines showing through your outfit while you pump on the go!
This is one of the great features of the Elvie Breast Pump. Its portability can also be attributed to its lightweight, about 7.4 ounces.
Is the Elvie Breast Pump Easy To Use?
I found the Elvie very easy to use. All you have to do is attach the breast shield to the Hub (the central electric part of the pump), then snap the base milk container in.
Slide the pump into your bra and start pumping. The Infrared Energy Sensor auto-detects when the milk container is full and automatically stops pumping, less worry about milk overflow.
The free Elvie Pump app helps monitor milk volume in real-time, track pumping history for each breast, and control the pump remotely. (Please note that Elvie works with or without the app.)
The easy-pour spout feature helps to prevent unnecessary messes. Compared to the Willow Pump, you can easily see the milk container on the Elvie to ensure the Milk is flowing and readjust the pump if necessary.
Can I Set It Up Easily?
The setup may seem tricky at first, but you will surely get it.
To set the Elvie up, you will need to assemble the wearable pump (5 pieces for each side, which easily fit together) and place it directly against your breast.
You will likely need two hands to get started to ensure the pump is appropriately positioned at your nipple then you can clip your nursing bra closed after you experience let-down.
You can also connect to the app using Bluetooth connectivity.
A good nursing bra is needed to hold the pump and make it easier. You can watch the video below for an easy guide.
Does it support Machine washing?
Yes, and No! Everything can be washed in a dishwasher apart from the Hub (Please ensure all parts are arid before using them again as this can affect suction).
The Hub should be wiped clean with a damp cloth. Sometimes you may have some milk splash up onto the Hub and into its crevices.
You can use a soft brush to remove any dried milk gently.
How is the Battery-Life?
The box contains a Rechargeable Battery (non-universal lithium) that charges in 2 hours via micro-USB.
The battery charge can last through almost a whole day of pumping, typically four times a day.
What Is The Warranty Period?
Elvie Breast Pump has a 2-year warranty on the Hub (pump mechanism) and a 90-day warranty on washable components, which seems fair.
Is the Elvie Breast Pump Discreet?
The breast pump is very quiet compared to the whooshing noise of a traditional pump, but I would not call it a silent breast pump.
It makes a sound that can be heard by people close to you when you are in a quiet shared space.
The sound comes from the suction and the satisfying ‘drip’ of Milk hitting the bottle through the valve. It is not loud, but it is not entirely silent too.
If you are using it in a noisy place, you have nothing to worry about.
Asides from the sound, the blinking light, which can not be turned off, also affects its discretion.
Moms who have pumped before will surely know what’s going on, and those who haven’t will be wondering where the light is coming from.
Do I have to worry about Milk Overflow?
The Elvie Breast Pump has slight issues with milk overflow. This Milk flows into the plastic on the Hub, making it hard to clean.
There has been an upgrade, and Moms do not complain about this as before.
The upgrade increased the accuracy of the overflow sensor. Another helpful tip to avoid Milk Overflow is wearing a dark-coloured bra or top.
The colour difference helps the auto-sensor detect the lighter-coloured Milk easily.
What is the Performance of the Elvie Breast Pump?
The performance is good, but it can be better. The power is not as efficient as some other breast pumps.
It has a weaker suction than the Spectra S1 pumps (and other breast pumps). Some moms say it is not as efficient as other pumps because of its gentle suction.
Is it Affordable?
The Elvie Breast pump is pricey compared to some other hands-free breast pumps.
If the double breast pump is expensive, you can try the single breast pump.
You can also check out with your insurance provider to see if your insurance covers it. That will be a great relief for you.
What’s the Elvie Pump App Like?
One of the peculiar things about the Elvie breast pump is the Elvie Pump app.
Though you can use the Elvie pump without the app, having the app makes it easier for you to know the amount of Milk you have pumped, track your pumping history and regulate the pump remotely.
Using the Elvie Pump App
- Download the app from play store or on the apple store
- Create an account and connect your phone.
- Start by pressing Play/Pause.
- Change the intensity until you are comfortable.
- You can switch between the two modes ( stimulation and expression)
- Monitor the volume of milk in the bottle.
- Use the app menu to view your pumping history (Detailed information for each of your sessions including the volume of milk produced on each breast).
Watch this video to gain more clarity :
Should I buy the Elvie Single or Double Pump?
It depends on what you want. I would recommend two pumps if you plan on pumping at work or exclusively pumping.
If you plan on nursing at least some of the time, I recommend a single Elvie.
The single breast pump is more affordable while the double breast pump is better for convenience and speed.
Where can I Buy The Elvie Pump?
Single Elvie Breast Pump
Price: Starting from $390.98
Double Elvie Breast Pump
Pros and Cons of The Elvie Breast Pump
The Elvie Breast pump review is not complete without looking at the advantages and disadvantages of the breast pump.
- It is lightweight and portable which makes mobility easy for Moms.
- Cordless breast pump means less worry, I don’t know about you but I do not like dealing with cords or wires.
- The Elvie breast pump is super quiet which makes pumping discreet.
- It has a sensor that automatically detects when milk is full and pauses pumping, this feature makes life easier for moms.
- The set comes with two chargers and the battery life is good.
- Cleaning can be challenging, especially when the milk flows into the hub, and you have to clean gently.
- The performance is okay, but it is not as good as some other pumps, especially the suction and speed.
- It is pricey, although insurance providers have made this easier (but still, check in with your insurance provider)
Will the Elvie Work for Women with Large Breasts?
Yes, the Elvie Breast pump works with all breast cup sizes.
The issue you many need to be concerned with is nipple size, not the breast size. The Elvie has available breast shield sizes.
Please note that Breast shield size reflects nipple size, not breast size. Check how Elvie suggests measuring your nipples here.
Tips and tricks for using The Elvie Pump
Here are a few tips for using the pump according to Elvie Pump users:
- Using the app continually during pumping sessions can sometimes affect the battery life of the pump. You may need to limit the app usage if the pump is not staying charged for a longer period.
- Ensure your bra is tight enough. Sometimes a tighter bra is needed to allow the pump to latch rightly.
- If you experience any pain with pumping, try to use a different flange size.
- The green valve should always be above the hub, affecting the suction.
- Make sure the breast pump parts are completely dry for more efficiency.
- Wearing a dark-coloured bra helps the sensor detect the volume of milk pumped more easily.
Bottom Line: Is it Worth it?
The Elvie Breast Pump is a worthy investment for Moms who want to gain freedom during breastfeeding.
One thing that stops people from getting the Elvie breast pump is the price, yes, I understand that it can be pricey and have a standard performance compared to the price. Still, if you want a hands-free, wearable breast pump that makes motherhood more effortless for you, then the Elvie breast pump is right for you.
I hope this Elvie breast pump review has been helpful?